In 2000, GW Bush and his daddy’s friend, Dick Cheney, took the nomination of the GOP - a virtual horror show of unmitigated stupidity, blustering narcissism, bad jokes and psychotic fear mongering out to win an election by hook or crook (with emphasis on that crook).
Jeb and Big Bro GW
The state of Florida was run by then Governor Jeb Bush . A position that allowed Jeb to control much of the process and outcome of the state. He promised to deliver to his big bro and he did with the assistance of a 100,000 person voter purge , Katherine Harris (Jeb’s Secretary of State), the hanging chad. When it became clear that those chads were hanging too close to Gore, he helped delay until the DC muscle, lead by Chief Justice William Renquist, were able to assure the final "coup de gras" with a judicial "coup d’etat" (and the Republican's claim to hate the French for its “socialism”?)
Katherine "The Chad Killer" Harris:
Delivering Florida then gets delivered a
Senate Campaign as a Pay Off?
According to CNN:
“In the days leading up to the presidential election, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush promised his brother, Republican nominee George W. Bush, that he would nail down Florida's 25 electoral votes -- a promise on which he could still deliver.” “Jeb Bush walks political tightrope over electors, ”
The Florida courts, state senate and house hemmed and hawed, delayed and played with the US Supremes stepping up to play a 3 show set to interject their voice and throw their weight around:
1) “Bush v. Palm Beach County Canvassing Board" - In an attempt to end the "election crisis" created by the challenges to voter tally (from the shock of the media in claiming the win for Gore per exit polls, then Bush, then Gore...The close results in the popular vote and challenge to the count) , the Supremes decided to put a stop to the Florida Supreme Court's decision to extend the time for certifying the vote past the period set by state law. Hoping to prevent further consideration of the vote count ( the GOP's embarassment, not to mention baby bro Bush's) and to force the state to certify results as they stood at that moment – Bush over Gore and screw the hanging chads, uncounted votes and questioning of the count - the Supremes began the process of taking control away from the state and forcing the certification of results. Fortunately, for the Supreme's, the Florida court ended up doing it all for the Supremes and, unanimously, certified those VERY questionable results.But just when the Supremes thought they could take it off the road for an early holiday retreat, the Florida court brings it all back and the Bush boys demand an encore…2) “Bush v. Gore” Act I – For one whole week the decision seemed set and certification complete, then the Florida court demands a statewide recount of ballots in a 4-3 splits so the Supremes come in for an encore show.“…its (The US Supreme Court) discretionary appellate review jurisdiction and granted certiorari, or review, to Bush v. Gore. The day after the Florida Supreme Court had ordered a recount, the U.S. Supreme Court granted a temporary stay, or delay, in enforcing the Florida Supreme Court's order. The U.S. Supreme Court justices, too, were narrowly divided, 5-4. The five justices voting in favor of the stay were the same five conservatives who had been moving the Rehnquist Court to the right for more than a decade. The first hearing of Bush v. Gore telegraphed to the nation what would happen if the Court took further action in the case.”3) “Bush v. Gore” Act II - Just a few days after the Supremes ordered their stay of the recount, they came in for their final show that left the country in a state of dazed vertigo. Those Supremes, led by William “Dianna Ross” Renquist, belted out their infamous "song"...The Supremes committed their 2nd ever act as King maker (for more information, check out the 1876 election of Samuel Tilden as the President … ) by throwing out precedent and policy, respect for the state and respect for the people’s voice.
Quoting the late Marable Manning, "Stealing the Election: The Compromises of 1876 and 2000" , comparing the 1876 election to the 2000 election:
“The election of 2000 was decided not by the popular will of voters, but in Washington, D.C., by a narrow five-four conservative majority of Supreme Court justices. Chief Justice William Rehnquist's refusal to acknowledge evidence of blatant voter fraud against African Americans was no surprise. Back in 1962, when Rehnquist was a young attorney in Arizona, he led a group of Republican lawyers who systematically challenged the right of minority voters to cast their ballots in that state. Called "Operation Eagle Eye," Rehnquist successfully disenfranchised hundreds of black and brown voters in Phoenix's poor and working class precincts. In 2000, Rehnquist supervised the disenfranchisement, in effect, of the majority of American voters.Under no conditions can George W. Bush be considered the legitimate president of the United States. The Supreme Court has certified an electoral robbery in Florida. Gore was elected by the plurality of America's voters, but Bush was selected by the courts. As columnist Julianne Malveaux has quipped, perhaps instead of saying "Hail to the Chief," we should salute the faux President with "Hail to the Thief." History has repeated itself, and it is up to us to challenge this "Compromise of 2000," which threatens to usher in a new period of racial inequality.“
Jeb Bush) to promise them their state no matter what, and they did not have the brilliance and the leadership but they did have the Supremes in their back pocket.
4 years and the worse record in history, the GOP team of Bush and Cheney succeeded again in gaining an election with questionable practices:
- Voter Purges in multiple states from Ohio to Florida - in Ohio, that purge resulted in long lines and "provisional ballots" that suppressed the vote in places like Cleveland, Dayton and other major population centers;
- Questionable acts by the now impeached and convicted of ethics violations (“Coingate scandal”), Governor “Cousin” (related to former President George W. Bush through at least three different marriages, ranging from eighth-cousin-once-removed to 11th-cousin-once-removed, as well as being a ninth cousin of former Vice President Dick Cheney but I digress) Bob Taft and his Secretary of State Ken Blackwell;
- Along with the machinations of a corrupt Republican Corporate Leader, Wally O'Dell, and his "tweaked" voting machines ( Diebold Election Systems Inc.) who promised to deliver Ohio to the GOP.
For more on the tale of Blackwell, O'Dell and the tricky electronics:
- "Vote Fraud 2004: How Ohio was "Delivered" to Bush"
- "Diebold's Political Machine"
- "DOWN FOR THE COUNT: The Story of Diebold, DIEB-THROAT & Deep Trouble for America's #1 Voting Machine Company"
- "Ken Blackwell's Disgraceful Election Machinations"
- "More Proof That Diebold Rigged the 2004 Election Results for Bush"
SO...It appears we have discovered the NEW GOP way.
Mitt "I never had a position I didn't change" Romney and Paul "Alissa Rosembaum" Ryan
or the Let Them Eat Cake Tour 2012
Today, 2012, in a new election year, Romney and Ryan have created the Republican "Let Them Eat Cake" Tour.
Mitt Romney has changed his position on nearly every issue more than once - from auto bail outs, social security, budgets, abortion and birth control - I won't even go into ROMNEY Care.
Paul Ryan is like a steroided Ground Sloth stuck in the La Brea Tar Pits tar pits clinging to radical right wing positions from overturning Roe v Wade (and making abortion, not only, illegal, but also, criminal for anyone to include the victims of rape and incest) to shredding what is left of the social safety net (to include the destruction of Medicaid - he calls "entitlement", the privatization of Social Security, the privatization of Medicare) . ...
And what have we seen so far?
The GOP governors promising to deliver the election AGAIN:
- Voter purges - Since 2004 we have seen purges in TWELVE STATES - Florida has become "ground zero" for the fight with over 180,000 purged, the DOJ is taking them to task.
- Voter ID laws - 8 states passed new Voter ID laws in 2011. Claiming a "need" to eliminate "voter fraud" (something that is virtually non-existant in the US but has been found on rare occasion of late, eg, in AZ - a REPUBLICAN candidate for superintendent withdrew candidacy when it was determined the absentee ballots for his girlfriend had been submitted over the past 5 years...AFTER her death).
- Disinformation - Voters given false information about when and how to vote, leading them to fail to cast valid ballots. Americans For Prosperity did this in the Wisconsin recall election in 2011 - the organization disseminated MIS-information to Democratic voters telling them to return their absentee ballots on the wrong date.
- Manipulation of or denial of "Early Voting" or "Absentee" Voting - Many voters cannot vote on the specified election day at their specified polling place due to lack of access to transportation, disability, illness, hospitalization, required travel out of the area for job, emergency, education, etc. Some states have eliminated or refused to set up "early voting" or have made rules for that early voting process that discriminate against certain voters. In Ohio, new laws went into effect - "In Ohio, state law dictates that local election boards have the authority to determine the hours in which their early voting polls operate, and the Secretary of State serves as a tiebreaker for cases in which the boards are deadlocked on a decision" . What resulted was a schedule that allowed Republican Counties to hold extended hours into the evening and on weekends for their "early voting" while those counties that has gone Democratic during 2008 were being restricted to 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with no extended hours. After the involvement of the ACLU and the media bringing the story to national attention, Mr. Jon Husted, the Secretary of State, announced yesterday that the hours would be now be made uniform throughout the state.
Though we may see Obama and Biden as a lock and the clear leader in the race of 2012, never under estimate the new "GOP Way" to steal the White House while we watch.
If there were ever a time for the people to be vigilant, it will be November 6, 2012.
Cross-posted on FreakOutNation