Sunday, December 23, 2012

May the Light Within You Shine With-Out



The Kwan Yin...Blessed Mother, protector and holder of the lotus
Kuan Yin, Quan'Am (Vietnam), Kannon (Japan), and Kanin (Bali), She is the embodiment of compassionate loving kindness. As the Bodhisattva of Compassion, She hears the cries of all beings. Quan Yin enjoys a strong resonance with the Christian Mary, the Mother of Jesus, and the Tibetan goddess Tara.


Born of a ray of pure white light............................

When I was a small child, I had vivid dreams.  Whenever I was ill, or scared or in need, I would dream imagery so powerful that it either made those feelings more horrific or soothed me to a calm. 
When I was a child - alienated and lost, I would dream of a hand that held a flower and from that flower a beautiful woman sat peacefully. 


That image stayed with me now for over 50 years and  has always, ALWAYS, been my image for peace and ease.  She protected me, taught me, led me - this being, I imagined, sitting on my head or on my heart or on my shoulder to speak to me and tell me the truth behind those with whom I interacted. 


When I was a child, I was honored to live and visit the Nelson-Atkins Museum and felt drawn, always to the temple within and a statue of a woman sitting on a rock.  I would sit at her feet staring up at the mother, the priestess, the goddess with peace and beauty within.  As I grew older and hung at Volker Fountain with the alienated of Kansas City, I would visit the statue whenever possible and sit at her feet - it was not until I was in my mid-teens that I read the words that held nothing of the beauty I saw, the peace I felt, but the name struck and stuck.....Guanyin .


Guanyin of the Southern Sea (Nanhai Guanyin), 11th-12th century Liao Dynasty (907-1125). Wood with multiple layers of paint. Height: 95 inches (241.3 cm). Purchase: Nelson Trust,
The Nelson-Atkins Museum

Guanyin (Chinese: 觀音; pinyin: guān yīn; Wade-Giles: kuan-yin) is the bodhisattva associated with compassion as venerated by East Asian Buddhists, usually as a female. Guanyin is short for Guanshi'yin (觀世音, pinyin: guānshì yīn, Wade-Giles: kuan-shih yin) which means "Observing the Sounds (or Cries) of the World".

Now to be sure, I call myself of no religion - I am no Christian or any other of the Book; I am no Hindu, no Buddhist, no Taoist...

For all those have become too rigid for my child-like being.  I tend to go with Universal Pantheist when asked though it does not begin to describe the light within that reflects the light of all the cosmos. 

The Kuan, Kwan, Quan is always within and with - out.  She has "got my back" and is "on my back" (usually when I lose my way)







My hope for all during this time of death to life, rebirth and renewal - the Solstice and Saturnalia, Sanheim and every other name thrown on that time of year when we become so dark but, hopefully, move towards the light, is to touch that light within and bring it forth to shine - the brilliance of the Cosmos





Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice

And Hope for the NEW Year


I bow to your true self and to the light of the Cosmos within and with-out us all....


Namaste



6 comments:

  1. Well done Goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! ~~ Love and Peace, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life" ~ Oscar Wilde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be sure - for they are all reflecting of that within and that with-out

      Delete

iCopyright

AddThis